HAGEL FINE ART & DESIGN
FANTIQUE POSSESSIONS

home paintings murals sculpture covers custom design models bio contact


Custom Made Bases


These are basefs I have scratch built or have modified and added to.


Here is a Billiken 30 piece vinyl figure kit from Japan. Itfs based on the 1956 B movie cult gThe She Creatureh.

For the groundwork I used air-drying clay which I sculpted footprints and sand mass to suit my shapely base. Once dried and set I sealed, primed and textured. I coated the paint job with clear drying PVA glue mixed down with water and glaze. Then using real sand I coated it tipping the excess off than sprayed it with sealer, Repeating sprinkling and spray sealing a few times.

For the washed up title I had a rectangular resin nameplate that I started with. I cut and sanded around the lettering than joined it onto some Paddle Pop sticks that I shaped and painted to resemble old wood.

 

As well as real sand I also used tiny real shells. Keeping the base very simple in design and colour was the idea to enhance the paintwork on the figure.


click to enlarge




This is another Billiken kit, this time of the ultimate Universal monster from the 1931 movie gFrankensteinh.


A small compact circular base is all that was intended to keep the overall appearance tall yet balanced. I sculpted the rock and moss out of gSuper Sculpeyh and simply baked it in the oven. Then painted and attached it to a pre sprayed wood turned base.

The rats are a factory paint job that came from another 12h collectable figure, Ifve just used them to decorate the base for now.


click to enlarge


For this base I just added to what was already there. The figure was sculpted by New York artist Moses Jaen, It came with a small piece of rectangular ground with a tree stump and gore heap on it. I wanted to fill out the groundwork to a round shape so I could mount it to the wood turned base which is matching in size to the Frankenstein monster base.

I actually used real stones that were Sikaflexed to the resin. Then I sculpted some large intestine to drape over the human remains and a piece of spine I added from another figure set.

After prep and painting I dressed it with groundcover. I used gWoodland Scenish light green coarse turf with a mix of sawdust and some spice rack herbs. For the longer sprouts of field grass I used paintbrush bristles that I soaked and dried in watered down moss green acrylic paint. To make the dead shrubs I used cleaned and prepared small plant roots. Only using the more eerie shaped roots to give a more cense of death.

After all the labour of love is complete he now is my horror Oscar.


click to enlarge

home paintings murals sculpture covers custom design models bio contact